Powers Building, 1878
The furniture store that was advertised here is long gone but, happily for ghost sign fans, most of the sign remains, although the top has suffered water damage.
Originally named the Rensselaer Building, it was the site of several hardware and furniture companies over the years. It was the site of the Harbor Club beginning in 1946, one of the few gay bars in Portland. The US Navy declared it off-limits soon after it opened and the city shut it down in 1965. Paddy's Irish Bar now occupies the ground floor of the building at SW 1st and Yamhill.
The sign is on the north side, and is visible from half a block up 1st Avenue.